If you’re to be arrested and the arrest demands that a search be carried on you, request to see the Search Warrant issued on you. Make sure you follow all instructions given to you by the police during the search. NOTE THAT THERE ARE DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE THE POLICE CAN
MAKE AN ARREST WITH OR WITHOUT A SEARCH WARRANT. Those circumstances are as follows
1. Where a police officer reasonably suspects that a person has committed an offence against any law in Nigeria or outside Nigeria. And that the law creating such offence does not prohibit an arrest without warrant.
2. Where an offence is committed in presence of a police officer not minding that such offence is one that requires a warrant of arrest for an offender to be arrested.
3. Where a person obstructs a police officer or escapes or attempts to escape from lawful custody.
4. Where a person is in possession of a reasonably suspected stolen thing or a person is reasonably suspected of committing an offence with respect of such thing.
5. Where a person is reasonably suspected of being a deserter from any of the armed forces of Nigeria.
6. Where a person is reasonably suspected of having committed an offence outside Nigeria, an offence that is also an offence in Nigeria and there is also a law in Nigeria that allows such person to be arrested and detained in Nigeria.
7. Where a person is in possession
of an implement of housebreaking, car theft or firearms or offensive weapon without lawful excuse.
8. Where a person is believed to be one of whom a warrant of arrest has been issued by a competent court in Nigeria.
9. Where a person is reasonably suspected of trying to conceal himself in order to commit an offence.
10. Where a person’s warrant of arrest has been issued by a court, Justice of peace or superior police officer.
11. Where a person is reasonably suspected of designing/planning to commit an offence, an offence for which arrest can be made without a warrant of arrest and the offence itself cannot be prevented.
12. Where a person is required to appear by a public summon issued in accordance to any law.
During the arrest, if the circumstances of the arrest requires that you should be searched by the police, you can asked that the body of the police officer be searched first. This is to avoid a situation where incriminating items may be planted on the body of innocent people.